Re: Guarddog blocking packets in the same zone

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:07:51 -0800, Todd wrote:

> The Linksys is plugged in behind the Linux box into one of the ports on
> my switch. It is assigned a NATed address on the 0.0 network. The
> wireless network on the Linksys is 1.0:
>
> Internet---->Cable modem-->Linux box-->16 port switch-->Linksys
>
> It's not a routing issue as from the Linux box I can access both
> networks. I can access the Linux box from the wireless network. I just
> can access the LAN from the WIRELESS and vice versa with Guarddog on.
> When I turn off the firewall everything works 100% as it should. Since
> the Linksys is connected to the same switch as the LAN PC's, one would
> think it should work but since they are on different networks, the
> packets must be routed via the Linux box and I think that is where
> Guarddog is having a problem.
>
> I may be 100% incorrect here though...

Well seeing how you are using 192.168.0.0/24 for the LAN and
192.168.1.0/24 for the Wireless and they are all connected to the switch
that might be the issue. Why don't you just place everything on the
192.168.0.0/24 subnet and I'm sure your problems will go away. Use the
upper addresses for the wireless and the lower one for the LAN

You are using 2 different subnets and they are trying to go through a
router to get to one another. Guarddog most likely doesn't do any
routing from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.0 and that is why when Guarddog is
up traffic doesn't pass.

Since I don't know what type of Linksys router you are using I can
only guess. Which port on the Linksys are you connecting to the switch?
The wan port or a normal switch port? If the WAN port then all routing
between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.0 is done on the Linksys box and the
linux box shouldn't matter. If a normal switch port then routing is being
done by the linux box.

--

Regards
Robert