Re: overcome NIS

matt_left_coast wrote:
Jan Pompe wrote:

Ther are a few other services which are equaaly insecure like nfs for
instance

So? That does not make NIS SECURE. The OP was asking about NIS being secure,
not about securing the whole system.

which should aslo not run a network but then again we can always install a firewall.

Learn about security and who the treats are. In large organizations, a great
deal of the hacking comes from INSIDE the firewall. Still,, the OP was
asking if NIS was secure, your suggestion that a firewall is needed proves
that even you do not think that NIS is secure, that it needs something else
to be secure.

What is your point? It's not designed to be secure except in a secure (firewalled) environment.

Se the post previous to yours.

It was nonsense when I replied to it, it is still nonsense.

You didn't reply to it. You know the one posted by Menno Duursma before
you replied.

You mean where Menno Duursma asked you a question that you refused to
answer?

I didn't refuse to answer I just didn't think it needed one.

He never stated that passwords in a kerberos database actually
makes NIS secure. Learn to read bud.

The onoly way you are going to get 100% security is to pull the plug on the whole system but that's not very useful now is it?

You have to learn not to be so rude.

There are of course other ways to imporive security too.

The OP was not talking to "improve security" He was asking if NIS was
secure, there is a difference. Read his question!

Was he?

Perhaps you need a coffee.

You need to learn to comprehend what the original posters are asking and to
stop using your head as a suppository.

You are very rude.

  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... he says he can not fine any security holes. ... The question was not 100% security, it was that NIS has NO SECURITY HOLES. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... Learn about security and who the treats are. ... Now cut a hole in a piece of paper and then tell me how 'security is implied in the word 'hole' having done that cut a hole in the hole. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... Learn about security and who the treats are. ... deal of the hacking comes from INSIDE the firewall. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: overcome NIS
    ... That does not make NIS SECURE. ... Learn about security and who the treats are. ... great deal of the hacking comes from INSIDE the firewall. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Centralized authentication
    ... > verifying certificates. ... > use NIS+ for group, ... > `*' in the password field). ... NIS+ is secure, is very easy to shoot yourself in the foot with and is ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)