Re: Change from ipchains to iptables

From: Robert (noone_at_noplace.nowhere)
Date: 11/19/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:36:32 -0500

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:51:23 +0000, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:

> I unloaded the ipchains program successfully with the nodep switch. Now I
> have just iptables, but I can't get it to start. It is stopped. I need to
> block 2 IP addresses that keep coming to my machine and either try to log on
> or try and trick my web server to overflow and let them take control. In
> the meantime I stopped SSH.

As root do the following;

chkconfig --level 345 iptables on

This will start iptables when boot into runlevels 3 4 and 5.

service iptables start

Will start iptables.

Make sure you have a rule set setup for this. Check /etc/sysconfig for
iptables.

If you need help setting up a rule set let me know and I will help you.

--
Regards
Robert

  • Re: IP Forwarding problem
    ... iptables -t nat -F ... Maybe Redhat's default firewall rule set made you confused. ... > I have a RedHat 9 system set up. ... I am able to see the Linux box from the Windows machines on ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • iptables filter rules Question??
    ... I am having difficulties getting my firewall rules to behave correctly or ... atleast as I want them to... ... iptables -P FORWARD DROP ... The functionality I want from my firewall rule set is: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • fwbuilder, iptables & traceroute
    ... Rule 0 allows me to traceroute to the firewall and it responds: ... Here is my rule set as generated by fwbuilder: ... iptables -N Cid419B703B.0 ... echo 'Rule 1' ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • fwbuilder, iptables & traceroute
    ... Rule 0 allows me to traceroute to the firewall and it responds: ... Here is my rule set as generated by fwbuilder: ... iptables -N Cid419B703B.0 ... echo 'Rule 1' ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • fwbuilder, iptables & traceroute
    ... Rule 0 allows me to traceroute to the firewall and it responds: ... Here is my rule set as generated by fwbuilder: ... iptables -N Cid419B703B.0 ... echo 'Rule 1' ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)