Re: Change from ipchains to iptables

From: Robert (noone_at_noplace.nowhere)
Date: 11/19/05

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:36:32 -0500

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:51:23 +0000, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:

> I unloaded the ipchains program successfully with the nodep switch. Now I
> have just iptables, but I can't get it to start. It is stopped. I need to
> block 2 IP addresses that keep coming to my machine and either try to log on
> or try and trick my web server to overflow and let them take control. In
> the meantime I stopped SSH.

As root do the following;

chkconfig --level 345 iptables on

This will start iptables when boot into runlevels 3 4 and 5.

service iptables start

Will start iptables.

Make sure you have a rule set setup for this. Check /etc/sysconfig for
iptables.

If you need help setting up a rule set let me know and I will help you.

--
Regards
Robert