Re: Change from ipchains to iptables

From: Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress (dholtzNOSPAM_at_wi.rr.com)
Date: 11/16/05

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:36:18 GMT

"Newsbox" <nospam_for_me_please@thanks.invalid> wrote in message
news:maydnSwRHsPrEe7enZ2dnUVZ_tydnZ2d@acadia.net...
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:33:23 +0000, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the update. When I ran rpm -e ipchains I get a notice that it
>> depends on lokkit and can't continue.
>>
>> I ran sysconfig --list and see ipchains and iptables.
>>
>> Maybe I will learn something as I sift thru inittab, etc.
>>
>> Doug
>
> Doug,
>
> If your ipchains depends on lokit then you probably need to disable lokit
> before you can disable ipchains (although I suppose it might be possible
> to _disable_ ipchains without bothering with lokit, IDK). Not sure if
> lokit will show up in chkconfig or not, as I never used it. You _do_ need
> to disable ipchains before you can enable iptables. Those two things would
> normally be best and most easily done with chkconfig. You really do not
> _need_ _to_ erase anything from the disk so long as the scripts are
> pointed at the right places.
>
> Depending on your network connection and your firewall rules, you may need
> to have your network (PPPoE and DHCP?) up before your NETFILTER iptables
> script can run. Many scripts will need to know the IP address before they
> will run. Going through the init stuff manually is a real pain and you're
> better off to use the provided utilities if they will do what you need.
> They (chkconfig especially) were written for good reasons.

Newsbox;

I run chkconfig | more to see what is there. I see ipchains and iptables
but no lokkit. There is a list of 6 on/off switches associated with each
program that runs.

How do I deal with that? Ran man sysconfig for some explanation but I don't
get it.

TNX

Doug

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Change from ipchains to iptables
    ... > If your ipchains depends on lokit then you probably need to disable lokit ... > to disable ipchains before you can enable iptables. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Change from ipchains to iptables
    ... > Doug, ... When I ran rpm -e ipchains I get a notice that it ... depends on lokkit and can't continue. ... I ran sysconfig --list and see ipchains and iptables. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Change from ipchains to iptables
    ... Doug, ... chkconfig --list ipchains ... chkconfig --list | grep ipchains ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: stop ipchains
    ... > ipchains. ... > Ida Young ... >> Doug Holtz ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: iptables help
    ... I have not used lokkit so I have no idea how good it it. ... You will have to switch to ipchains; ... > installed redhat 9 on a machine to use as a gateway for a small home ... > traffic goes in and out the the internet and windows boxes do not get mail ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)