Re: Change from ipchains to iptables

From: Newsbox (nospam_for_me_please_at_thanks.invalid)
Date: 11/09/05

    Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:15:19 -0500

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:49:20 -0500, Newsbox wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:43:20 +0000, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:
    >
    >> Group;
    >>
    >> I have this old DEC server running my web site using Red Hat 7.3 with kernel
    >> 2.4.20-43.7.legacy
    >>
    >> ipchains had been my original set up with pmfirewall. Now I want to set up
    >> iptables. pmfirewall is no longer in use.
    >>
    >> I installed iptables using rpm and now want to remove ipchains and use
    >> iptables exclusively. Can I just rpm -e ipchains? How do I config iptables
    >> to start automatically?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Doug

    Doug, sorry about the previous post. It did come from this machine, but I
    have no idea why or what it is supposed to mean. Please disregard.

    You can (probably should) remove ipchains, but it is not necessary to
    remove it from disk to disable it. From a root prompt use chkconfig
    command to configure what is running.

    You can configure (almost?) anything to start itself with init.