Re: Change from ipchains to iptables

From: Newsbox (nospam_for_me_please_at_thanks.invalid)
Date: 11/09/05

    Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:15:19 -0500

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:49:20 -0500, Newsbox wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:43:20 +0000, Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress wrote:
    >
    >> Group;
    >>
    >> I have this old DEC server running my web site using Red Hat 7.3 with kernel
    >> 2.4.20-43.7.legacy
    >>
    >> ipchains had been my original set up with pmfirewall. Now I want to set up
    >> iptables. pmfirewall is no longer in use.
    >>
    >> I installed iptables using rpm and now want to remove ipchains and use
    >> iptables exclusively. Can I just rpm -e ipchains? How do I config iptables
    >> to start automatically?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Doug

    Doug, sorry about the previous post. It did come from this machine, but I
    have no idea why or what it is supposed to mean. Please disregard.

    You can (probably should) remove ipchains, but it is not necessary to
    remove it from disk to disable it. From a root prompt use chkconfig
    command to configure what is running.

    You can configure (almost?) anything to start itself with init.

    • Re: Change from ipchains to iptables
      ... > ipchains had been my original set up with pmfirewall. ... > I installed iptables using rpm and now want to remove ipchains and use ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Change from ipchains to iptables
      ... ipchains had been my original set up with pmfirewall. ... I installed iptables using rpm and now want to remove ipchains and use ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Log File Question
      ... I am using Red Hat 7.1 with ipchains and pmfirewall. ... >> what you are seeing is an alert indicating that a dynamic firewall rule ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: network log
      ... > to our server running linux7.2 sendmail, include ip, time and etc.? ... > and is there a command to disconnect a user/host hooking ... Disconnecting is a little more difficult, if you are using ipchains you ... Replace IPTOBLOCK with the IP address to block of course. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: using Linux box as router
      ... I used a Red Hat 7.3 server with 2 NIC's and the PM Firewall program. ... PMfirewall uses ipchains to do the firewall; the install asks you questions ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)