Re: can someone please help with telnet ???

From: Keith Keller (kkeller-usenet_at_wombat.san-francisco.ca.us)
Date: 11/02/05

    Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:57:54 -0800

    On 2005-11-02, dorantes@mac.com <dorantes@mac.com> wrote:
    > I'm trying to limit telnet access to a server to one i.p. address, can
    > someone help with this ?
    > Am I able to use the /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny files for this
    > the same as I would the sshd ?

    It depends: which telnetd; standalone, from inetd, or from xinetd;
    what's in the config files, if from inetd or xinetd; and which if any
    have been compiled with tcpwrapper support?

    The obligatory question for cols: Why do you need telnetd support? Can
    you use sshd or some other service instead?

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

    • Re: Printing and Telnet questions on SUSE 10.1
      ... Running things like a telnet server or ... not server (telnetd) running inside. ... IMO you need a firewall if you insist on allowing services like xinetd. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Printing and Telnet questions on SUSE 10.1
      ... Running things like a telnet server or ... not server (telnetd) running inside. ... IMO you need a firewall if you insist on allowing services like xinetd. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Newbie asks how to disable telnet.
      ... xinetd. ... /etc/xinetd.conf) comment out the lines that reference telnetd and get ... should be minus one telnetd daemon. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Cant start telnetd
      ... >> line referring to telnetd) and restart inetd by sending a HUP signal to ... Use ssh instead. ... >> and sshd. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: help with xinetd
      ... > installed it via dselect. ... I expected a conflict with inetd, ... Check if telnetd is running in standalone mode. ...
      (Debian-User)