Re: Rename root to avoid hacking?

From: Rick Moen (rick_at_linuxmafia.com)
Date: 09/23/05

    Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:43:20 -0400

    Unruh <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

    > WHAT??? On NO system where the sysadmin has the least particle of security
    > sense would this be true. You do NOT use a weak root password. You use a
    > strong one. That in itself discourages you from becoming root, which you
    > should only reserve for special occasions anyway. If you really want to use
    > ssh with rsa/dsa authentication from the user to root.

    Please be careful about your attributions. I did not write the
    above-cited text.

    • Re: Rename root to avoid hacking?
      ... On NO system where the sysadmin has the least particle of security ... You do NOT use a weak root password. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...
      ... If you are serious about making your machine secure, ... learn a thing or two about security. ... These logs are mailed to the root user at 3am. ... Setup dovecot and use a local email client to fetch it. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Linux hacked
      ... is to boot your system with a separate ... You can't trust the logs, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: [security bulletin] HPSBTU02211 SSRT071326 rev.1 - HP Tru64 UNIX Running the dop command, Lo
      ... HP Software Security Response Team ... UNIX Operating System running the dop command. ... privileges of the root user. ... echo "HP Security bulletin code identification: ...
      (Bugtraq)