Re: Rename root to avoid hacking?

From: Rick Moen (rick_at_linuxmafia.com)
Date: 09/23/05

    Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:43:20 -0400

    Unruh <unruh-spam@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

    > WHAT??? On NO system where the sysadmin has the least particle of security
    > sense would this be true. You do NOT use a weak root password. You use a
    > strong one. That in itself discourages you from becoming root, which you
    > should only reserve for special occasions anyway. If you really want to use
    > ssh with rsa/dsa authentication from the user to root.

    Please be careful about your attributions. I did not write the
    above-cited text.

    • Re: Rename root to avoid hacking?
      ... On NO system where the sysadmin has the least particle of security ... You do NOT use a weak root password. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...
      ... If you are serious about making your machine secure, ... learn a thing or two about security. ... These logs are mailed to the root user at 3am. ... Setup dovecot and use a local email client to fetch it. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Linux hacked
      ... is to boot your system with a separate ... You can't trust the logs, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
      (Security-Basics)