Re: Rename root to avoid hacking?

From: Rick Moen (rick_at_linuxmafia.com)
Date: 09/21/05

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:16:13 -0400

Noozer <dont.spam@me.here> wrote:

> If I rename root, it eliminates a known user for a hacker to try to break in
> as.

UID zero remains UID zero, regardless of name. I doubt that any system
intruders are going to be stupid enough not to know that, though I
suppose it's possible in a wide and varied world.

> I'm not suggesting that this is the only measure to take, just if it's worth
> doing and will I have other issues if I do rename root.

If you want to make the intruder laugh, and thus improve his day, go for
it!

--
Cheers,                    Never criticize anybody until you have walked a mile
Rick Moen                  in their shoes, because by that time you will be a

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Another simple quest for anti- gunowners
    ... You're so stupid you don't even realize the hypothetical ... account you are so obsessed with attacking didn't say the intruders were ...
    (talk.politics.guns)
  • Re: Anchor babies
    ... not impede any intruders from absconding with ... I have a problem with really stupid U.S. citizens like some of the ... What have you done to "add" to our society, ...
    (rec.boats)