Re: Random 6-char sub-directories in home directory?

From: Dr. Joel M. Hoffman (joel_at_exc.com)
Date: 08/12/05

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 00:41:12 GMT

>>A while ago I noticed that one of my user accounts had random
>>6-character subdirectories under the user's home directory. (The
>>directories are actually quite old.) The directories are empty. This
>>looks like a failed attack of some sort, but maybe it's a successful
>>attack with few signs left behind?
>
>>Is there anyone who knows what this is based on the tiny bit of
>>information I have?
>
>No. It could also be some rogue program, or some accident.
>Have you asked the user?

It's not an accident. The user is me, and I was out of the country
when the files were created, to judge by the creation date.

-Joel

  • Re: Time to repost this one....
    ... accident or a house fire. ... Afterall..it never happens to anyone in small towns. ... Or weren't as empty as they thought. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Empty folders
    ... Mabye the directory is in fact empty, the data may have been deleted by ... accident, sounds like you need to check backups or Shadow copies if enabled. ... built in Adminstrator account? ... The folder is plain empty. ...
  • Re: Count days minus days in table
    ... Are you saying that once you have an accident, you're going to empty the ... entry as a number so that number can be subtracted from the total days. ...
  • Re: Random 6-char sub-directories in home directory?
    ... >6-character subdirectories under the user's home directory. ... The directories are empty. ... >looks like a failed attack of some sort, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: AS400 user lists
    ... > How do I get a list of user accounts on the server, ... > across it by accident before via menu but cannot for the life of me ... Note that DST user profiles exist starting at V5R1. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc)