Re: Scrypt - Linux crypting tool

From: Unruh (unruh-spam_at_physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 07/24/05

    Date: 24 Jul 2005 19:16:42 GMT

    jeanphilippe.aumasson@gmail.com writes:

    >Unruh a =E9crit :
    >>
    >> Yee gads. Why in the world would you want to invent your own very very bad
    >> crypto system when loads of very good ones exist?

    >I'm learning cryptology, and i never said that my program was the next
    >AES. I know my algo is not secure at all, but i think it's better for a
    >beginner to try to invent my own algos, than implement a nth time the
    >well known cipher...

    It depends on what you want it for. IF you want to learn that is fine, but
    then do not post it. It is your learning experience.
    And what do you mean "invent my own algorithm". What is it that you hope to
    learn by doing that? Certainly not cryptography. If on the other hand you
    wnat noe to figure out for yourself why your algorithm is weak, and how to
    break it, that could be valuable.

    • Re: Scrypt - Linux crypting tool
      ... Why in the world would you want to invent your own very very bad ... > crypto system when loads of very good ones exist? ... I know my algo is not secure at all, but i think it's better for a ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: How good an encryption algorithm is this?
      ... You're saying that none of the examples of using CryptoAPI work? ... >> own algorithm to start with. ... > have known not to bother trying to invent their own", ... I don't think we need any more reasons not to invent your own ...
    • Re: How good an encryption algorithm is this?
      ... You're saying that none of the examples of using CryptoAPI work? ... >> own algorithm to start with. ... > have known not to bother trying to invent their own", ... I don't think we need any more reasons not to invent your own ...
      (microsoft.public.vc.language)
    • Re: How good an encryption algorithm is this?
      ... > own algorithm to start with. ... have known not to bother trying to invent their own", ... > attempt to crack it doesn't mean it's more secure than one which many ... > CryptoAPI in the first place? ...