Re: Accessing serial port information in privilege restricted directory

From: Paul Taylor (pault_rem_.ngea_at_virgin.net)
Date: 07/05/05

Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 08:09:49 +0100

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:54:40 +0100, Paul Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing an application that needs to access information stored in
> files /proc/tty/device/*, but the directory /proc/tty/device only
> allows root access. The directory contains files that indicate the serial
> ports available for use on the system, both traditional and USB adapter
> types.
>
> Has anyone got an idea why the /proc/tty/device directory is restricted
> to root? Basically, I'm trying to work out what the best approach to take
> with my application, which runs with user privileges.

I guess the directory is restricted for similar reasons that the ttySx and
ttyUSBx device nodes are restricted. If an application needs to use a
serial port then the sysadmin needs to make changes to allow serial port
access. I guess the sysadmin would need to make changes in the same vein
to allow a user program to access the files indicating which ports are
available for use.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Relevant Pages

  • Allow full port access on one IP to a sub-user
    ... - Assigned to subuser1. ... own apache daemon and start it on ... listen to ports on this IP. ... things without needing root access, I don't want to spend a bunch of ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: chkrootkit: possible trojan
    ... you either do or don't have root access. ... Sounds like a diversion to me. ... nmap and see if something has been opened. ... As to closing ports, a quick google search will help you there. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?
    ... have enough permissions to be able to edit your configuration. ... point in restricting you from root access. ... You can run lots of stuff you compile, ... printing) use standard ports in that range. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: system breach
    ... so either you or someone with root access did it. ... run sockstat and look for processes with ports open that shouldn't ... something to go on, and i don't understand the stat command, ... if the breach was in the 2 odd days before this and after the system was created. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Accessing serial port information in privilege restricted directory
    ... I am writing an application that needs to access information stored in ... allows root access. ... ports available for use on the system, ... which runs with user privileges. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)