Accessing serial port information in privilege restricted directory

From: Paul Taylor (
Date: 07/04/05

Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:54:40 +0100

I am writing an application that needs to access information stored in
files /proc/tty/device/*, but the directory /proc/tty/device only
allows root access. The directory contains files that indicate the serial
ports available for use on the system, both traditional and USB adapter

Has anyone got an idea why the /proc/tty/device directory is restricted
to root? Basically, I'm trying to work out what the best approach to take
with my application, which runs with user privileges.

Remove _rem_ before replying by email.