Re: Setting CPU limits

From: Centurion (spam.this_at_nowhere.tld)
Date: 07/04/05

Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:03:45 +1000 wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to limit the CPU usage of my users. I have modified my
> /etc/security/limits.conf file and added the following lines:
> @student hard nproc 20
> @student hard cpu 10
> First, is 10 minutes a riduclously small amount of CPU time to give to
> students?

When I was a lowly computer science under-grad, the faculty only gave us 10
minutes CPU time on their big-ass 8-cpu Solaris box (the imitable

We rarely got bounced doing real work - but there was that threaded matrix
multiplication assignment where we needed to spawn a thread for each row of
a 100,000x100,000 matirx pair....that never worked - we'd run outta CPU
time around half way through. ;)

> Second, and more importantly, does modifying the limits.conf file
> require a reboot to take effect?

No. But new limits wont take effect until the affected users log out and
back in again.

Please remain calm, it's no use both of us being hysterical at the same