Re: Setting CPU limits

From: Centurion (spam.this_at_nowhere.tld)
Date: 07/04/05

Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:03:45 +1000

mrmazoo@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to limit the CPU usage of my users. I have modified my
> /etc/security/limits.conf file and added the following lines:
>
> @student hard nproc 20
> @student hard cpu 10
>
> First, is 10 minutes a riduclously small amount of CPU time to give to
> students?

When I was a lowly computer science under-grad, the faculty only gave us 10
minutes CPU time on their big-ass 8-cpu Solaris box (the imitable
"banshee").

We rarely got bounced doing real work - but there was that threaded matrix
multiplication assignment where we needed to spawn a thread for each row of
a 100,000x100,000 matirx pair....that never worked - we'd run outta CPU
time around half way through. ;)

> Second, and more importantly, does modifying the limits.conf file
> require a reboot to take effect?

No. But new limits wont take effect until the affected users log out and
back in again.

James

--
Please remain calm, it's no use both of us being hysterical at the same
time.