Re: Setting CPU limits

From: Centurion (spam.this_at_nowhere.tld)
Date: 07/04/05

Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:03:45 +1000

mrmazoo@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to limit the CPU usage of my users. I have modified my
> /etc/security/limits.conf file and added the following lines:
>
> @student hard nproc 20
> @student hard cpu 10
>
> First, is 10 minutes a riduclously small amount of CPU time to give to
> students?

When I was a lowly computer science under-grad, the faculty only gave us 10
minutes CPU time on their big-ass 8-cpu Solaris box (the imitable
"banshee").

We rarely got bounced doing real work - but there was that threaded matrix
multiplication assignment where we needed to spawn a thread for each row of
a 100,000x100,000 matirx pair....that never worked - we'd run outta CPU
time around half way through. ;)

> Second, and more importantly, does modifying the limits.conf file
> require a reboot to take effect?

No. But new limits wont take effect until the affected users log out and
back in again.

James

--
Please remain calm, it's no use both of us being hysterical at the same
time.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [RFC] scheduler: improve SMP fairness in CFS
    ... Instead of an explicit system-wide fairness invariant, ... If we guarantee that the load on CPU X does not differ from the load on CPU %N by more than some small constant, then we know that the system is fairly balanced. ... The same is true for desktops, where users want to nice tasks and see an effect that's consistent with what they expect, i.e., task CPU time should be proportional to their nice values. ... I agree they can be problems on NUMA, but I'd argue they are not on SMPs. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Competition for OraPerf
    ... You are performing more than 63 SQL parses per second. ... Solid state disks help to increase the CPU time by reducing ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Competition for OraPerf
    ... You are performing more than 63 SQL parses per second. ... Solid state disks help to increase the CPU time by reducing ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel
    ... If we're running B with A's priority, presumably it will get some amount ... of cpu time above and beyond what it would normally have gotten during a ... forcing it to borrow from its future cpu allocation in order to free up ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Another: System process always at 99% since yesterday - Is it a virus?
    ... PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 starts to experience high CPU ... It is taking all cpu time. ... Just went to PCC 2005 a couple weeks ago. ... > What is the diff between Safe Mode and Normal mode?? ...