Re: FC4 root access via user account

From: Aaron Gray (ang-usenet_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/01/05

Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:33:53 +0100

> Why do you need to install them into /usr? Just execute (in bash, as
> your normal user account):
>
> $ export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
> $ cd $HOME/work/gcc_work
> $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> $ make
> $ make install
> $ hash -r # Empty hash lookup table for commands; see help hash
> $ which gcc
>
> The last command will now list $HOME/bin/gcc. Put the first command in
> $HOME/.bashrc if you want the change to be permanent.

I need mutiple GCC versions installed and would like to have them availiable
to other user accounts.

Same with other projects as well. I really do need an account with write
access to /usr.

Aaron

Relevant Pages

  • Re: local user get created magically ! system hacked ?
    ... I use about a hundred fedora19 stations in computer labs at our school ... However, recently I noticed that on some stations, local user account ... the first boot after a fresh install. ... firstboot never asked for the root password as ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: local user get created magically ! system hacked ?
    ... I use about a hundred fedora19 stations in computer labs at our school ... However, recently I noticed that on some stations, local user account ... the first boot after a fresh install. ... firstboot never asked for the root password as ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Windows XP Updates...
    ... I did everything, by the way, but anything I tried to install couldn't be ... into Windows Security Centreand it says that Automatic Updates is ... I don't know how to manually update Windows either. ... adware and other malware (since the active user account does not ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Help in Changing User info, Please help
    ... >> the Windows CD he used to install XP home edition, so Im not sure how or if I ... > a possibility that you don't have a valid license to use WinXP. ... > original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware. ... even if the associated user account has been. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)