Re: spyware/malware and linux?

From: Protagoras (protagoras_at_miworld.net)
Date: 07/01/05

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 15:02:44 -0500

Bit Twister wrote:

> 3 digit code?? Sounds like you received email asking you to verify your
> account. That is a phishing attack and no OS can protect you from
> yourself...

It is pretty common for online merchants to ask/require the 3 or 4 digit
secuirty code (CID?) that is on the back of a credit card for completing
transactions. But now I am very hesitant-- I might just have to opt for
payment some other method, like PayPal, or a check, or money order. Not
really sure what to do; depressing how insecure credit card payment is--
odds are it is a dishonest criminal employee at online merchants, or pehaps
just an online cracker, getting access to credit card info to use for
criminal activity with credit card info.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: spyware/malware and linux?
    ... > odds are it is a dishonest criminal employee at online merchants, ... > criminal activity with credit card info. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Tucson RV ripoff company
    ... Along side the charge there is a 4 digit code that I had to put in the payment. ... The $1.95 posted to my credit card account this morning. ... I got a USPS tracking number and after a few days had gone by, ... From bid to delivery was 7 days. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • =?windows-1252?Q?Attention_Online_Merchants_=96_New_Lawsuit_Against_V?= =?windows-1252?Q?isa
    ... might be getting ripped off through inflated credit card chargebacks. ... online merchants are defrauded by foreign buyers using stolen ... When the real cardholder reports the fraud, VISA ... currency exchange rates to perform the chargeback. ...
    (uk.net.web.authoring)
  • =?windows-1252?Q?Attention_Online_Merchants_=96_New_Lawsuit_Against_V?= =?windows-1252?Q?isa
    ... might be getting ripped off through inflated credit card chargebacks. ... online merchants are defrauded by foreign buyers using stolen ... When the real cardholder reports the fraud, VISA ... currency exchange rates to perform the chargeback. ...
    (alt.marketing.online.ebay)
  • paypal - extended use by credit card
    ... I've entered the 4 digit code, and it says I will get my £1 bonus when I make my next payment, but when does the £1 they took out my account in the first place go back in. ... and it wasn't credited when I registered the credit card ...
    (uk.people.consumers.ebay)