Re: Why no security updates for Linux?

From: Michael Heiming (michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de)
Date: 04/23/05

    Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:15:28 +0200

    In comp.os.linux.security Robert Glueck <rglk@web.de>:
    > This is a beginner's question. I've been using Xandros v.2.0.1 for
    > almost a year, and during that time Xandros has issued only one "general
    > security update". That was in July 2004, nine months ago. Surely,
    > since that time security vulnerabilities and bugs must have been
    > discovered in the kernel (v.2.4.22) and/or in the hundreds of pieces of
    > software that make up the Xandros Standard distribution that would
    > require patches or fixes. Yet no word on that from Xandros.

    Strange, there are at least 114 security related updates
    concerning RHEL 3.0 this year (2005) in addition to the numerous
    security updates 2004. Looks like there's some problem with your
    updates or Xandros isn't really serious about security? Never
    used this distro.

    [..]

    #bofh excuse 87: Password is too complex to decrypt

    • Security updates for Linux distros
      ... Xandros OS. ... security update") was issued nine months ago. ... I have flagged packages that appear to have fairly serious security ... Debian has supplied fixes for all of these for the woody distribution. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Why no security updates for Linux?
      ... and during that time Xandros has issued only one "general ... since that time security vulnerabilities and bugs must have been ... require patches or fixes. ... Xandros is based on Debian. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Why no security updates for Linux?
      ... and during that time Xandros has issued only one "general ... > since that time security vulnerabilities and bugs must have been ... I've run Debian testing (Sarge) since about August last year. ... I've certainly picked up quite a few updates since August. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Why no security updates for Linux?
      ... and during that time Xandros has issued only one "general ... > security update". ... of their distro, and the user is supposed to get the other updates from ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)