Re: dangerous to leave root logged in?

From: Keith Keller (kkeller-usenet_at_wombat.san-francisco.ca.us)
Date: 03/29/05

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:34:37 -0800

On 2005-03-28, hans_schulze98@yahoo.de <hans_schulze98@yahoo.de> wrote:

> The question is not whether to run things root or not. The question is
> if you can leave them sitting logged on as root when idle.

The answer is still the same: you can, but I wouldn't.

I think we're still lacking in specifics: what exactly is it that you
need to do that you want to have root logged in constantly? Perhaps if
you gave details, people would either back off or give you other
alternatives you maybe haven't thought of. But so far you've given no
compelling reason (for me, anyway) to leave root logged in.

--keith

(try just my userid to email me)

  • Re: Does SUID require specific programming ?
    ... >> Did you also 'chown root filename'? ... because both real and effective userid are both userid 0. ... set by the setuid bit)? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Root login disabled
    ... Having recently installed and configured the AIX 6.1, ... get the direct root login and have to su to root from my own login id. ... userid settings that determine whether a userid can be used for local ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Newbie trying to access SU in Ubuntu
    ... take them off (sudo passwd root). ... (try just my userid to email me) ... see X- headers for PGP signature information ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: root cant sudo
    ... script that he wants to be able to run either as his non-superuser ... normally requires root privileges. ... Do userid tests and have dual-path code: ... Execute it via sudo if the userid is not root. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: root cant sudo
    ... he wants to be able to run either as his non-superuser self or as root. ... The script needs to perform a function that normally requires root ... the special command directly if the userid is root. ... Execute it via sudo ...
    (Debian-User)