Re: Possible virus??? I have gibberish all over the screen. My keystrokes contain gibberish and what is returned after my commands is also gibberish

From: Rincewind (rinso_at_unseen.edu)
Date: 03/22/05

Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:01:43 GMT

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:26:32 -0500, MLH mumbled something like this:

> I thought what I was doing was harmless. I changed to /usr/bin then typed
> cat less & pressed Enter.
>
> Its been gibberish ever since. What did I do wrong. Can I just type
> shutdown and make all this go away on subsequent boot?

You have, as you indicated, tried to 'cat' an executable binary. THis has
caused control characters to be sent to the display, thus corrupting it.

You /can/ if you wish reboot, but you can also simply log out and back in
again, or if you can manage to type blind:

setterm -reset

you should get back a readable display

--
Rinso
     /\

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Setting the contents of a file to a variable?
    ... gibberish, only to glorify some minuscule know-how with RTFM phrase. ... The code Robert wrote is Unix shell code and has nothing to do with Ruby ... $ cat>|x <<EOF ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Pasta of the day
    ... > If you were a dog, you'd recognize your name in amongst all the ... > gobblety-gook (gibberish), but since you're a cat, I'm not sure you ...
    (rec.food.cooking)