Re: Newbie can't log into his own wu-ftpd server...

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 02/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:38:28 -0600

    In article <9525e$421b783b$c690c3ba$30783@ispnews.usenetserver.com>,
    Rick Moen wrote:
    >Moe Trin <ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld> wrote:

    >> Come on, Rick! Based on your choice of newsreaders, it's going to be
    >> a long time before you make the leap, huh? ;-)
    >
    >Fogeydom is a way of life, as I'm sure you're aware. ;->

    Got that right. I think I switched to slrn in 1996 because of a feature
    I needed. At this point I vaguely recall I was using trn before that,
    and who knows before that. Hmmm, interesting marks on the walls of
    this rut, don't you think?

    >I just like having highly security-sensitive code be minimal and
    >battle-tested, if feasible. xinetd isn't "new", but it has a _way_
    >larger amount of privileged code, and it's really hard to beat Venema
    >for conservative coding.

    Agreed. This may also be why it's not used universally. Still, if it's
    going to be battle-tested, _someone_ has got to be running it. And
    those that run it have to have it configured to do the intended job.

            Old guy

    • how to catch up to current mail
      ... I am missing a feature of slrn that I often used when I still read most ... mailing lists via gmane.org. ...
      (comp.mail.mutt)
    • Re: pan vs slrn differences?
      ... > actually a feature that all news readers should have, ... > If binaries are secondary to your needs most of the console based NNTP ... > around soon to recommend Tin) slrn is the beez kneez. ...
      (news.software.readers)
    • [JR] Re: An enhanced/reBuilt "References:" line.
      ... point in making big changes to slrn while the libraries on which slrn ... There's also very little point in responding to feature requests, ... interest in the feature for the script to be written. ...
      (news.software.readers)
    • Re: _ soc.religion.quaker crossposting _
      ... Engineer wrote: ... I will turn on my "make crossposts invisible" feature ... (I want slrn, too -- but not before I learn how to use it!) ... Known to Yahoo as d021317c ...
      (soc.religion.quaker)