Re: Newbie can't log into his own wu-ftpd server...

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 02/17/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:11:02 -0600

    In article <E_ydna6te68QeY_fRVn-qg@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >> Just a guess but, does /etc/host.conf contain a line reading:
    >
    >> order hosts,bind

    That file is used by older 'libc' applications. Glibc2 uses
    /etc/nsswitch.conf which should have a 'host' line similar to

    [compton ~]$ grep host /etc/nsswitch.conf
    hosts: files nisplus nis dns
    [compton ~]$ whatis nsswitch.conf
    nsswitch.conf [nsswitch] (5) - System Databases and Name Service Switch
    configuration file
    [compton ~]$

    >Yep, and "multi on" line under it. Is that a problem? If so, then how do
    >I resolve this?

    No, that's a compatibility function. See the 'resolver' man page.

    I haven't used wu-ftpd in a while, but as I recall, it uses standard
    resolver calls to find hostname/address information. You might also
    look the your superserver configuration (inetd or xinetd) and see if you
    are using tcp_wrappers. They also cause lookups.

            Old guy