Re: Newbie can't log into his own wu-ftpd server...

From: Moe Trin (ibuprofin_at_painkiller.example.tld)
Date: 02/17/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:11:02 -0600

    In article <E_ydna6te68QeY_fRVn-qg@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >> Just a guess but, does /etc/host.conf contain a line reading:
    >
    >> order hosts,bind

    That file is used by older 'libc' applications. Glibc2 uses
    /etc/nsswitch.conf which should have a 'host' line similar to

    [compton ~]$ grep host /etc/nsswitch.conf
    hosts: files nisplus nis dns
    [compton ~]$ whatis nsswitch.conf
    nsswitch.conf [nsswitch] (5) - System Databases and Name Service Switch
    configuration file
    [compton ~]$

    >Yep, and "multi on" line under it. Is that a problem? If so, then how do
    >I resolve this?

    No, that's a compatibility function. See the 'resolver' man page.

    I haven't used wu-ftpd in a while, but as I recall, it uses standard
    resolver calls to find hostname/address information. You might also
    look the your superserver configuration (inetd or xinetd) and see if you
    are using tcp_wrappers. They also cause lookups.

            Old guy

    • Re: Newbie cant log into his own wu-ftpd server...
      ... /etc/nsswitch.conf which should have a 'host' line similar to ... hosts: files nisplus nis dns ... See the 'resolver' man page. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Problem with resolving own host name
      ... By "host name" I indeed meant the system name; ... Given that the resolver trace is as expected, it looks like a problem at ... name from a config member and resolves it via an external DNS server by ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
    • [Fwd: /etc/hosts and /etc/host.conf confusion]
      ... FreeBSD. ... when resolving host names or addresses." ... from bind. ... which configures the resolver to consult ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • How to get new RSA key in known_hosts file?
      ... It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed. ... RSA host key for xander has changed and you have requested strict checking. ... # This is the ssh client system-wide configuration file. ... GSSAPIAuthentication yes ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: /etc/resolv.conf and sendmail
      ... I recall reading a comment that local host names for sendmail need "enough" ... and aaa.org resolver code could be ... looking any of these up because you do not have enough dots. ... and dns that said use "invalid.com". ...
      (Fedora)