Re: IPChains not working

From: Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez (jkerouac_at_bgsec.com)
Date: 02/16/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:32:56 +0100

    Stephan Göldi wrote:
    > Am Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:12:20 +0100 schrieb Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez:
    >

    >>Iptables can do everything ipchains does and a lot more,
    >>and the most important the rules are a lot easier to construct,
    >>and changing a script from ipchains to iptables can take a while
    >>but it's worth the work, you can be sure.
    >

    > BTW: I have a Red Hat 7.3 system which uses ipchains. I installed
    > iptables. Now if I shut down ipchains and try to start iptables, it tells
    > me:
    >
    > ipchains and iptables can not be used together. [WARNING]

    Yes, that's how it works. You can compile the Netfilter support
    in the kernel as modules and then load the ipchains or iptables
    support when you want, but if you have the ipchains support
    compiled in the kernel then you can change to iptables. You need
    a new kernel or unload the ipchains module and load the iptables
    module.

    Regards.

    --
    Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
    Director Tecnico de bgSEC

    • Re: IPChains not working
      ... Iptables can do everything ipchains does and a lot more, ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Prevent access to linux server when mac adress does not match ip adress
      ... Iptables has much more features than ipchain. ... Prior to the 2.2.x kernel, the firewall was controlled by "ipfwadm". ... introduced the IPCHAINS tool to control that. ... Often the upgrade is too big and bulky for the older ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: IPChains with RH 9? "Protocol not available"
      ... Yes, iptables is way more versatile than ipchains, and ipchains ... is no longer supported in the redhat kernel by default. ... is RH 9 stock kernel still support ipchains? ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: A Question On Ipchains Input Rules
      ... If RH72 allows using iptables instead of ipchains, ... return packets for any established connections, ... outbound SMTP sessions, you just allow outbound SMTP, and the ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Still getting the same IPTABLES errors in the kernel(2.4.17)
      ... > Did you turn off ipchains. ... >> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded. ... >> # IP: Netfilter Configuration ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)