vsftpd under Debian sarge

From: Fabio C. (fabio_at_non-existent.int)
Date: 01/31/05

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:24:11 +0100

Hi there,
  since a few hours I'm trying to make vsftpd working behind a firewall
configured for NAT.

The FTP server is up and running with local user access enabled, and I
can login from a windows machine in the same network of the linux server
(192.168.0.0/16 private network).

The issue appears when I try to login from a machine on the external
network (internet), which reaches the linux server from the NAT IP
address configured in the firewall.

This is the response of the windows client trying to connect to the NAT
ip address:

C:\>ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-- public NAT address
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
User (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:(none)): fabio
Connection closed by remote host.

The vsftpd daemon is linked against libwrap but hosts.allow/hosts.deny
files are empty and, also trying to configure some parameters related to
passive mode in the vsftpd configuration file (vsftpd.conf -
pasv_promiscous, pasv_address ecc), the issue still remains.

vsftpd's log file does not report any error and no debug/verbous
settings seems to be available in the configuration file. Also other log
files listed in /var/log directory do not say anything relevant (already
issued a grep -ir ...).

Actually I'm not sure where the bad settings keep on (debian or vsftpd
side).

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Fabio

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to set Default Gateway for a connection using RRAS and NAT
    ... I only have successfully configured NAT in a server also with 2 NICS but one ... configuration on NAT, I would be able to connect LAN computers to Internet. ...
  • vsftpd under Debian sarge
    ... The FTP server is up and running with local user access enabled, ... which reaches the linux server from the NAT IP ... The vsftpd daemon is linked against libwrap but hosts.allow/hosts.deny ... settings seems to be available in the configuration file. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: NAT Problems/Neighbour Table overfow
    ... >>I am a newbie in Linux,I have done a NAT on my Linux server so that my ... >>internet connection could be shared with my Windows machies on my lan.My ... >>back to the default settings.In order to get the NAT working again I ... >configuration, and on the next reboot, will load it as you've configured ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Fragmented Internet Connection
    ... my guess was wrong - you do have a double NAT issue. ... What you could do is eliminate the router - ie. enable NAT on the server ... With your current configuration, your router needs a static route to ... Double check the forwarders list on your DNS server. ...
  • Re: SBS SP 1 installation error
    ... Component Name: Microsoft Exchange Forest Preparation ... Component Name: Server Configuration ... Component Name: Windows Server 2003 Configuration ... Component Name: Networking Configuration ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)