Re: unsuccessful hacking attempt at my machine

From: /dev/null (dev.null_at_BeginThread.com)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:26:20 GMT

>> You might also traceroute those IPs and send a copy of the log to the ISP
>> at the end of the traceroute. I tend to have about a 50% effective
>> response on such contacts.
> I do so, but anybody have never replied me. I think the abuse@ addresses
> are redirected to /dev/null.

honest, I never got them. And most ISPs generally ignore abuse requests in
my experience. The best practice (unless you are looking to go to court and
think it's worth your time to do so) is just block offender IPs and move on.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: unsuccessful hacking attempt at my machine
    ... Gandalf Parker napsal: ... > You might also traceroute those IPs and send a copy of the log to the ISP ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • routting IP SUBNET.
    ... I've just got these IPs from ripe.net: ... My ISP told, that all those IP's will be routed to my gw: ... get tracerouted and the traceroute loops at the end like: ... To unsubscribe, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Gateway?
    ... I normally see as the first hop in an outgoing traceroute. ... I do use DHCP within my local network, but my connectionto my ISP ... tells where your packets go next. ... when I called tech support the first level ``support'' ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: Routing with multiple IPs
    ... > to provide security for your machines downstream of the ISP router. ... Aliasing IPs would mean (as I said ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [SLE] Does anyone know anything about mail-abuse.org?
    ... On Wednesday 21 January 2004 5:45 pm, Tom Nielsen wrote: ... > It seems these guys are a spam blocker, but they block IPs. ... The blocking itself is not global. ... This really is a matter for your ISP to enforce an Acceptable Use Policy ...
    (SuSE)