Re: unsuccessful hacking attempt at my machine

From: Kevin Drapel (kevin.drapel_at_epfl.ch)
Date: 01/26/05

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:45:58 +0100

> I noticed there was presumably a hacking attempt at my Debian Sarge
> machine running 2.6.9 Vanilla kernel. The machine is completely updates
> and is behind a router. The router has a firewall and it's port 22 is
> being forwarded to my machine. The machine also has a firewall. Seems
> like somebody was trying the dictionary attack(?). From the logs below:
> What does that "ffff" mean? Seconday, do these attempts give me enough
> reason (and right?) to attempt an nmap scan at the source IP?

maybe would you be interested by this little tool :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fail2ban

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Routers Firewall
    ... I ask him do you have a firewall and he says yes. ... I still have an IDS/firewall on all my machines behind the router. ... > to connect to a port your public IP address the router would reject the ... > An open port on the router could be connected to a service running on the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Possible Mail Relay or just new usages of returned mail by spammers
    ... If you have ANY type of firewall, be it a NAT router or true firewall ... ISA can be used in conjunction with the router/firewall, but if you do, you ... to be done twice...once in ISA, and once in the router to port forward to ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Home firewall Hits
    ... >Port 162 with a UDP message. ... than theres nothing blocking access from the internet to your router. ... >Subject: Home firewall Hits ... >simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Routers Firewall
    ... > indicates that it has firewall technology, then the router doesn't have a ... What your router does have is NAT. ... ZA is a fine product which will protect a computer ... Port 80 is the WEB access port and port 21 is the FTP ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Firewall for broadband connection
    ... > router will also permit the site to return the data requested. ... > A personal firewall application that runs on your computer will often be ... >> updates very often while an external firewall does not need ... turned on and online on the internet, having an IP address I do not know. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)