Re: hidden files

From: Tim Haynes (
Date: 01/24/05

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:43:03 +0000 (mat bike) writes:

> I am facing a problem with a linux box passed to me. There are hidden
> files I cannot access unless I know the name. No, the files are not
> .files. How can this be possible? How can I list (at least) them?

Sounds like they may have been hidden through a rootkit, perhaps?

Grab & run a copy of chkrootkit and <>, see what they
can see.

Boot off clean media (recent CD-roms) and mount the hard-drives from there,
read-only noexec, and have a browse around.

No more sun, No more wind               |
Only this strange feeling               |
Living without moving                   |