Re: Defunct Windows PDC

From: Bryan Brock (bbrock_at_gmail.com)
Date: 12/27/04

    Date: 27 Dec 2004 11:37:02 -0800

    > We are currently replacing our Windows server with a Slackware
    server.

    SAMBA is part of the Slackware software that you installed on your new
    Slackware server.

    > Under the old setup Win2K clients would login and authenticate
    against the
    > Win2K Server, from here I could control access etc.

    If the old Windows server was acting as a domain controller, you can
    use the following to setup your Slackware server to act as the new
    Domain Controller.

    http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/

    > Now the Windows Server has gone can clients still login and have
    restricted
    > access to the LAN or do the clients need to be Linux too ?

    Yes they can login and have restricted access, and no they do not need
    to be Linux.

    • Cant connect to 2k3 server from mac osx smb client
      ... Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Domain Controller ... Server: ... >I have a fresh install of Windows Server 2003. ... I created a user account in Active ...
    • RE: Creating a DNS Server in a W2k3 R2 Server DC with AD
      ... The DC2 will be replaced with the new installed server ... with Windows Server 2003 enterprise R2 edition. ... Which domain controller holds the 5 FSMO? ... We suggested that you perform the DHCP database migration before ...
    • Re: Active Directory Transfer
      ... want to decommission the original domain controller - if so, ... I'm referring to upgrading Active Directory domain - NOT a specific domain ... Both Windows Server 2003 and 2008 can function as domain ...
    • Re: Active Directory Child Domain
      ... Hello Syed the Windows Server Version dose not have any effect here, ... versions that can host Active Directory can host any type of domain. ... Thanks For Reply....I have only one domain controller i have ...
    • Re: Problems after domain upgrade
      ... There was a single Windows 2000 domain with one domain controller. ... Then I added a Windows Server 2003 SP1 domain controller to the domain. ... Maybe someone can tell me where to edit the authorization list manually ...