Samba Printer Share and iptables...

From: D. Krueger (test_at_in-the-net.com)
Date: 12/19/04

Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:23:22 +0100

Hi Folks,

I have a little bit troubble with my firewall and samba.

I use iptables on my router (redhat 9), a laserprinter is connected to this
box and now I want to share this printer to my lan via samba.

I tested it with opened firewall and all works fine but when the shields are
up then is the whole samba part very slowly.

here the opened ports in my firewall:

$iptables -P INPUT DROP
$iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
$iptables -P FORWARD DROP

$iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth1 --dport 137:138 -j ACCEPT $iptables -A
INPUT -p tcp -i eth1 --dport 139 -j ACCEPT
$iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s 127.0.0.1 --dport 631 -j ACCEPT

$iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED,NEW -j ACCEPT

With this setup, I can print but the access to the printer takes a while,
not so if I have open the firewall.

Have someone a idea to solve this problem ?

thx

D. Krueger

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Samba driving me nuts
    ... iptables-default file created when I built the box, added samba, and ... allow it through the firewall: ... /sbin/service iptables start ... be useful when you've got a trusted network on one ethernet port. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Samba driving me nuts
    ... then adjusted the server and firewall settings to start samba and allow ... /sbin/service iptables start ... useful when you've got a trusted network on one ethernet port. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FTP and Firewall
    ... I wish to use my Firewall ... suppose that I wish to disable an application like SAMBA ... Unless you are very familiar with how iptables work, ... through it's configuration file. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: FTP and Firewall
    ... I wish to use my Firewall ... suppose that I wish to disable an application like SAMBA ... Unless you are very familiar with how iptables work, ... tcp --dport 20 -j ACCEPT ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Feedback solicited - best way to harden a mail/web server?
    ... Was the system protected by a properly configured firewall? ... it's not a bad "starting point" and it can generate an IPtables rule ... > nor is there a web or ftp server; aside from that I haven't tried to secure ... Before I'll install some nifty application ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)