Re: I added a rule to iptables, how can I see existing rules?

From: Robert Spangler (bossman_at_zoominternet.net)
Date: 11/25/04

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:09:54 +0000

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:09:49 -0800, Santa wrote:

> I added a rule to iptables, how can I veridy my rule was added?. Also
> how can I see existing iptables rules?. Can I see some prints in
> /var/log/messages when rule gets executed?.

Well you could run the following command;

        service iptables save

Then you could goto the following directory;

        /etc/sysconfig

There you will find a file named 'iptables'. use the following command;

        less iptables

You'll have to be 'su' to do all this.

> If anybody know more on iptables, could you write me two sentences
> about how it will work?. Appreciated.

Iptables takes the incoming packet and compares it to the rule list. When
a match is found it does what it is told to do with the packet i.e. DROP
ACCEPT FORWARD.