Re: I added a rule to iptables, how can I see existing rules?

From: Robert Spangler (bossman_at_zoominternet.net)
Date: 11/25/04

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:09:54 +0000

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:09:49 -0800, Santa wrote:

> I added a rule to iptables, how can I veridy my rule was added?. Also
> how can I see existing iptables rules?. Can I see some prints in
> /var/log/messages when rule gets executed?.

Well you could run the following command;

        service iptables save

Then you could goto the following directory;

        /etc/sysconfig

There you will find a file named 'iptables'. use the following command;

        less iptables

You'll have to be 'su' to do all this.

> If anybody know more on iptables, could you write me two sentences
> about how it will work?. Appreciated.

Iptables takes the incoming packet and compares it to the rule list. When
a match is found it does what it is told to do with the packet i.e. DROP
ACCEPT FORWARD.

  • Re: IPTABLES
    ... > I need to setup the firewall IPTABLES on CentOS. ... You set up the firewall using command line commands. ... > allow to acces FROM the LAN only to a computer with MAC ADRESS xxxxxx. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Odd tcp dump? was: ssh working with dialup, not through router
    ... and try to run the iptables command you ... debug3: tty_make_modes: 91 1 ... debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Blocking incoming IP address immediately
    ... > iptables service, it continues to let him stay in. ... This does the same thing as your rules-save command, ... "Roger Wilco" game are one and the same machine??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How To Temporarily Suspend Network Traffic
    ... transfer hangs after some point and stops for ~30-40secs and finishes ... but you don't sleep at all between interruptions in the while loop. ... command at the end of the loop and the execution of the iptables command at ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: iptables rules
    ... Yeah I was just fiddling around with this myself last night actually on ... Subject: iptables rules ... mark "trying it tomorrow" ...
    (RedHat)