Re: Problems with accessing a RedHat Linux 7.2 from outside

From: Andrei Ivanov (iva_at_racoon.riga.lv)
Date: 11/08/04

    Date: 8 Nov 2004 21:07:31 GMT

    Liviu Tudor <liviut@cimage.com> wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply! I've tried what you said and I still get the
    > same result -- cannot ssh/telnet/ftp etc. :( And still, every time I
    > re/start xinetd I get the same lines in /var/log/messages about
    > "service disabled, removing" :O

    SSH: run "chkconfig --list sshd" to find out whether sshd is configured
    to run as daemon. For other services, served by xinetd daemon, check
    whether you have "disable = no" in the corresponding /etc/xinetd.d/*
    files. And from your replies I did not understand whether you see
    desired services in the output of "netstat -anp" command, or not.
    Same about "iptables -L -n".

    --
    andrei

    • Re: hardening SSH
      ... I checked my secure log file (on the daemon box), ... Btw, I figured out how to set up iptables to use a non-default port, and ... Denyhosts is a program that automatically puts ... the port on mine. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: iptables & tcp wrappers
      ... but I believe that your sshd (the daemon) is compiled against ... On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 14:57, Meatplow wrote: ... > I'm relatively new to iptables. ... > My basic input command is this: ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: iptables and DHCP
      ... daemon is hooking the packets before iptables sees them. ... To make sure it is this and not your rules, repeat the test without them and everything set to drop. ... If you really don't want it to see them, then you may be able to use an ingress policer to catch them earlier than the daemon - but that will also hook in different places depending on kernel config, and you'll ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Is this a tcpwrapper bug?
      ... command language to learn :-). ... about 1/10th as obscure as the iptables commands). ... using the iptables approach doesn't require yet another daemon to be ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Where do I look for networking stuff
      ... iptables has a quite many ways to examine packages sent. ... You may need to compile kernel modules to do what you need, ... You have a daemon that keeps check your net traffic logs and then modify the ...
      (alt.linux)