Re: USB Token, SmartCard, Logon.

From: Colin McKinnon (colin.deletethis_at_andthis.mms3.com)
Date: 09/13/04

    Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:32:22 +0100

    Roberto Gallo wrote:

    > Since I am developing my own hardware, I need to change the Linux Logon
    > myself.
    >
    > So, I have some questions:
    >
    > a.. How is the software architecture behind a user Linux
    > Logon-Session-Logoff?
    > b.. Which are the files that this architecture comprises?

    Usually this is done via the PAM libs on most modern Unix type systems. This
    provides an abstraction layer between the application (login, ssh, xdm etc)
    and the authentication system (ldap, shadow passwords, kerberos etc).

    Most distributions install the documentation for PAM but in case you haven't
    actually got a linux box yet, try http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/
    (first entry when you type PAM and linux into google).

    HTH

    C.

    • Re: USB Token, SmartCard, Logon.
      ... How is the software architecture behind a user Linux ... Usually this is done via the PAM libs on most modern Unix type systems. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: USB Token, SmartCard, Logon.
      ... How is the software architecture behind a user Linux ... Usually this is done via the PAM libs on most modern Unix type systems. ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.system)
    • Re: password mismatch
      ... >> Windows to Linux on two that he built up himself, ... recently added Mac and Linux just to keep up its reader happiness quota, ... I knew of was Slackware and RedHat. ... avoid stuffing around with PAM if I can help it. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Can I lockout accounts after n failed logins?
      ... >>> Is there a way in linux to lock accounts for an hour or so ... >> the pam documentation. ... login, the count in /var/log/faillog is a huge number like 3401. ... reset that user specifically, it will behave & increment as normal. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)