Re: n00b in the house.. secure linux?

From: Jeroen Geilman (not_at_rtpada.ln)
Date: 08/31/04

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:30:32 +0200

Declan Naughton wrote:

> anyone know any good links on where to start learning about linux?
> i'm an absolute n00b with linux, and i was hacked last week.. someone
> removed my /etc/fstab file!

If that is *all* they did then you can provide proof - log files, stat
files, addresses, etc.

In other words, very very unlikely that someone who breaks in would
remove only your fstab - a file completely useless to an attacker, and
only moderately annoying to you when it's gone.

Either they removed or changed quite a bit more, or you made a booboo
and deleted it (much the more likely - really.)

All your bits are belong to us - again.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Regenerating deleted files
    ... > I have an app that writes log files. ... If I use the file path and stat, I detect an error, but closing the ... writing and then copy from your fd to newly created file. ... Anyway, as others suggested, it's not the best idea to recreate files ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Regenerating deleted files
    ... I have an app that writes log files. ... If I use the file path and stat, I detect an error, but closing the ... file descriptor and opening it again ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • Re: Regenerating deleted files
    ... > I have an app that writes log files. ... If I use the file path and stat, I detect an error, but closing the ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
  • File sorting by a specific date
    ... I want to search a directory of log files and populate a list of those log files ONLY if they match today's date (localtime). ... I've tried long complicated methods of using 'stat' and Time::Local but I was hoping for a simpler solution. ...
    (perl.beginners)