Re: Do you use HOSTS file ?

From: Gary Petersen (turnabout-is_at_fair-play.optinrealbig.com)
Date: 07/28/04

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:15:32 GMT

T'was like the singing of the angels themselves when Craig Macbride said:

> [...]
>>Stickman answered me : "Unfortunately, using the hosts file to block
>>unwanted content is terribly inefficient."
>>Why is that ?
>
> A number of reasons:
> * You have to list every host separately, an impossibly long task.
> * If your local machine doesn't run a web server, the references to
> 127.0.0.1 will take ages to time out, quite possibly taking longer
> than just loading the ad banners in the first place!

Untrue. I have a hosts file installed, and connections to localhost
fail immediately.

> [...]
> * If your local machine does run a web server, pages may not display
> nicely with missing parts.
> [...]

They display very nicely and much more quickly with the ads missing.

Cheers

Relevant Pages

  • Re: webserver
    ... > create a web server to display the data. ... You could use the TIdHTTPServer component, part of the Indy suite. ... TIdHTTPServer would turn your program into a Web server. ... Indy doesn't help you in creating or formatting the HTML, ...
    (alt.comp.lang.borland-delphi)
  • Re: Display HTML in Applicaton Window
    ... I want to be able to read a local HTML file and display it in a browser window within my application. ... I also want to submit that page to my application and generate a "Post" to a web server and read the contents back and display back into the same browser window in my application. ...
  • Re: Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
    ... I get this message if DISPLAY is set on my local machine and I ... I already know what the fix is. ... Then whence cometh evil? ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: My very first php code
    ... HTTP status code are generated by the web server. ... These numeric codes are very important for the browser internals, but they aren't displayed to the user. ... If there was an error that prevents the page from being sent, the web server warns the browser with an error code and it also sends a web page with some information to be displayed to the user. ... However, the guys at Microsoft decided that _their_ browser would not display such page to the user under certain circumstances; instead, Internet Explorer would show its own error message. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: detach/reattach remote GUI applications?
    ... remote headless server do the processing and my local machine do the display, but sometimes I have to switch off my local machine. ... This kills the display and thus kills the application. ... Windows Terminal Services gives the capability I'm looking for by "disconnecting" and "reconnecting" a session. ...
    (freebsd-questions)