Re: noob: who-has tell messages

From: Allen Kistler (ackistler_at_oohay.moc)
Date: 06/24/04


Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:58:41 GMT

jim beam wrote:
> hi, i'm getting /tons/ of "martian source" packets on my linux box like
> this:
>
> martian source 10.153.56.57 from 10.153.32.1, on dev eth1
> ll header: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:0a:8b:6d:b4:54:08:06
> martian source 10.153.52.29 from 10.153.32.1, on dev eth1
> ll header: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:0a:8b:6d:b4:54:08:06
>
> when i do tcpdump, these show as:
> 21:33:35.121984 arp who-has 10.153.38.59 tell 10.153.32.1
> 21:33:35.136925 arp who-has 10.153.37.177 tell 10.153.32.1
>
> this is just a personal network and doesn't have addresses in this range
> on it.
>
> what's going on?

Apparently your "personal network" is connected directly to someone
else's 10.x network with a router at 10.153.32.1. Is there any chance
you're a cable modem subscriber and forgot to mention it?



Relevant Pages

  • Re: noob: who-has tell messages
    ... Allen Kistler wrote: ... > jim beam wrote: ... >> this is just a personal network and doesn't have addresses in this ... > you're a cable modem subscriber and forgot to mention it? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: noob: who-has tell messages
    ... Allen Kistler wrote: ... > jim beam wrote: ... >> this is just a personal network and doesn't have addresses in this ... > you're a cable modem subscriber and forgot to mention it? ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: noob: who-has tell messages
    ... jim beam wrote: ... > when i do tcpdump, ... Apparently your "personal network" is connected directly to someone ... you're a cable modem subscriber and forgot to mention it? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)