Re: convert plain text rsa keys to pem or der format

From: Dr. Robert Meier (worsel_at_c112927lin.svinfra.compuware.com)
Date: 06/18/04

Date: 18 Jun 2004 14:32:21 -0400

justman

> can anybody tell me how can i convert the plain rsa private keys to
> pem or der format.

Since no one else responded with more detail, I'll provide a hint.
Sorry I have no better detail.

      "private key - known only to owner, never transmitted"
      "secret key - known only to users, transmitted only over secure channel"
      "public key - known to anyone, transmitted to likely users"
I assume that you mean secret key (e.g. for S-MIME). I suspect that
you don't want to transmit private keys in pem, der, or any other
format.

Several months ago, I did this using a convenient web browser.
Netscape Navigator (4.5?) was able to load a certificate holding
an RSA secret key and save it as PEM and/or DER/CER certificate.

If you check around, or someone who reads this can suggest
candidates, you should be able to find a tool (web browser,
mail browser, ...) that can load and save certificates in the
formats you need.

Good luck,

--
Dr. Robert J. Meier
Compuware, Inc.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSL Certificate Installation Help
    ... general howto for installing the Entrust .crt file on Sun Application Server?S ... PEM is basicly the format of the certificate. ... To work out the actual format, see if the file is text and has something like "BEGIN CERTIFICATE" followed by a blob of base-64 and "END CERTIFICATE". ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Adding new Root Certificates to PPC 2003
    ... > directly from File Explorer by double-tapping on them (with Windows ... The certificate is probably in text (PEM) format. ... Reexport it in DER format. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: Format of the Public/Private key BLOB
    ... I have a PEM file with private key to decrypt it. ... CryptAPI and Linux using Openssl. ... default DER format? ...
    (microsoft.public.platformsdk.security)
  • Re: PKI Question
    ... .NET Framework does not have any built-in functionality for working with PEM ... will probably have to study the format and write the conversion utility ... > provide my client with our public key. ... > RSACryptoServiceProvider to generate the key pair and then dumped the keys ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.security)
  • Re: CryptAPI(encryption/decryption)
    ... Unfortunately the Microsoft CSPs do not support importing keys in pem ... You would need to convert your key to the blob format described in ... How can I import this into CSP and decrypt the data which is encrypted ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)