stopping telnet

From: rb (me_at_u.com)
Date: 06/15/04

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:57:17 +0200

Hi All,

As I am new to the world of Linux, I hope you guys can help me.
I have set up a redhat i[ptable firewall.
In my rules I have started out with dropping everythuing, then enabeling
certain ports. One of them being smtp/25.
This firewall sits infront of a windows network.
Altho no one can telnet throu to the linux box, they still seem to be able
to telnet throu to the mail server, which is sitting on a NT server. I have
looked on nt services to try and disable the telnet service, buit there is
none, and I understand that NT never came with a telnet server. I am at a
loss as to how they can telnet in. Be that as it may, I thought of stopping
any telnet protocol at the linux firewall, but have no clue as to hbow to do
that.

Thanks
Robert

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux or BSD alternative to Windows Home Server
    ... My questions were about Gentoo vs. Linux for a sever, ... I will probably eventually have a dedicated firewall ... if you were to have a file server which is accessible ... I'm aware that I could probably create scripts to regularly backup ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: LINUX Firewall
    ... there is merit on not having your SBS ... linux firewall server in really doesn't offer any additional security. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: Linux box as firewall
    ... PPTP VPN server ... Support for CGI and PHP ... Subject: Linux box as firewall ... > elegant in design than Linux. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Which Linux OS best for beginner to setup as Web / Mail server / Internet sharer and firewall?
    ... >>I don't want to start a flame war, but in my experience OpenBSD is best ... >>boxes if you must run linux for applications. ... > linux inside the firewall? ... web server? ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: How to select the firewall
    ... I am starting to look at the Linux thing just to see what it can do. ... It is not some BS pesonal firewall for the desktop like ... >> We are going to set up a small business system with a web server (Apache ... >> to put the web server in DMZ and the file and application servers behind ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)