Re: How to permit selective SSH access?

From: Puff Addison (puff_at_transport.ucl.ac.uk)
Date: 06/03/04

Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 11:39:08 +0100

Reply-Via-Newsgroup Thanks wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have tried reading the 'man' page on ssh and attempted to configure
>
> /etc/ssh/hosts.equiv
> .shosts
>
> to only permit access to the server from a select number of IP addresses
> however it doesn't work (meaning access is permitted from all IP
> addresses regardless of origin).
>
> I just placed the IP addresses in the above files - Can someone provide
> me with some examples or suggest where I am going wrong?
>
> Please reply via the newsgroup so all can learn,
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Randell D.

Check the man page for sshd_config(5) and log for the entry for the
AllowUsers key word.

I am not sure that /etc/hosts.{allow. deny} is used directly by sshd. If
  not you need tcpwrappers.

--
Dr J D ADDISON
Senior Research  Fellow

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to permit selective SSH access?
    ... > only permit access to the server from a select number of IP addresses ... Forgive the self-promotion, but I do actually think it's relevant... ... I wanted to be able to access my computers via SSH from anywhere on the ... and my server is a 16MHz 68030 Macintosh). ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: How to permit selective SSH access?
    ... > only permit access to the server from a select number of IP addresses ... Forgive the self-promotion, but I do actually think it's relevant... ... I wanted to be able to access my computers via SSH from anywhere on the ... and my server is a 16MHz 68030 Macintosh). ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: How to permit selective SSH access?
    ... > only permit access to the server from a select number of IP addresses ... Forgive the self-promotion, but I do actually think it's relevant... ... I wanted to be able to access my computers via SSH from anywhere on the ... and my server is a 16MHz 68030 Macintosh). ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)
  • Re: How to permit selective SSH access?
    ... >> I have tried reading the 'man' page on ssh and attempted to configure ... >> to only permit access to the server from a select number of IP ... > I have iptables set up to deny access from anyone to anything. ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)