Re: Plug command in iptables

From: Tim Haynes (usenet-20040517_at_stirfried.vegetable.org.uk)
Date: 05/17/04

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:57:31 +0100

hmurray@suespammers.org (Hal Murray) writes:

[snip]
>>with the scripting returning "ACCEPT" or "REJECT" according to some
>>parameters ( src ip / dest ip / src port / dest port / protocol etc )
>>
>>Or is my question just stupid?
>
> I'd call it impractical. The accept/reject decision is made in
> the kernal for each packet. There isn't time to run user code.

There's the whole user-mode queueing module whose existence suggests there
may be time to do something with some of the packets in code... :)

~Tim

--
So lead me to the river                     |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk
Blood runs thicker than the water           |http://pig.sty.nu/Pictures/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: NDIS IM: ProtocolReceive() again
    ... I would say that the most stupid thing ever is modifying some ... your driver is based upon passthru sample. ... questions about multiple indications of the same packet, ... read docs describing functions that they call. ...
  • Re: 70% against smoking ban
    ... A lot of the anti-smokers are too stupid for words. ... Yes, I will spend £5+ on a packet of fags, smoke them to nothing while ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Announcing pcapr
    ... kowsik wrote: ... Has a whole lot of stupid ... Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • [fw-wiz] Announcing pcapr
    ... Has a whole lot of stupid ... packet tricks, not to mention you can convert any packet into a ... DoS generator. ... full-text search on packet summaries (try ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)