Re: Firewall? Antivirus?

From: Mujin (baka_at_hornedking.com)
Date: 04/30/04

Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:58:22 -0500

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:27:02 GMT, Juha Laiho <Juha.Laiho@iki.fi>
wrote:

>Mujin <baka@hornedking.com> said:
>>I'm in the process of setting up an old laptop with a linux
>>distribution, but since I plan on using it as a mobile computer
>>(obviously) I want to ensure a reasonable level of security. There
>>seems to be plenty of software available for servers, but I'm having a
>>little trouble coming up with antivirus and firewall software for
>>personal computers. Any suggestions?
>
>Antivirus: the server antivirus suites tend to be for scanning files for
>viruses targeting Microsoft OSes; there doesn't seem to be that much
>viral code for Linux in the wild.
>
>As for firewall for a mobile device, implementing one should mostly be
>easier than implementing one for a server: for a mobile device I wouldn't
>expect a need for accepting traffic initiated from outside the machine,
>so the only packets that need to get in are packets in response for
>something sent by the laptop. As long as the Linux distribution is recent
>enough to have iptables-based firewalling functionality (instead of
>ipchains), implementing this kind of firewall is extremely easy just
>with the iptables base tools (so no need for any separate firewall-
>builder software).

I see. The manual I picked up didn't say anything about this, so I
guess it's time to go to the library.

"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the
sake of the good and for the Christian church...a lie out of
necessity,  a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be
against God,  he would accept them."
--Martin Luther  [1483 - 1546]

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Firewall? Antivirus?
    ... viral code for Linux in the wild. ... As for firewall for a mobile device, ... As long as the Linux distribution is recent ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Who is really telling the truth?
    ... Vista general ng and is no place for promoting linux or macs. ... so-called "noble cause"...hahahaha...a laughable lie at best. ...
  • =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_Laptop_processors_-_is_this_worth_another_=A3410=3F?=
    ... I run Linux with half dozen desktops on ... Well over 90% of the desktops in the world run some sort of Windows, so until my customer base changes I need to be on top of that. ... I do find I'm resistant to migrating from a Windows Mobile Platform to an iPhone. ... and I'll almost certainly pick an HTC HD2 running WM 6.5 over the spectacularly impressive iPhone. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • Re: OT: SNITs trolling tactics
    ... The ironic thing is your above accusation is an ad hominem. ... This is an example of (equally applies to both Mac and Linux advocacy): ... Introduce statistics to try to hurt Linux, Linux Advocates, ... Lie, lie, lie, lie. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: PearC will sink the Mac
    ... You are now a lying troll in Snit's mind because you've question ... Snit's lie here. ... you made up stories about me not being able to use Linux... ... I've done a fair amount of reading about Mac OSX, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)