Re: Is there an easy way to find all IP blocks for a particular country?

From: Julia Thorne (rimbaldi_at_nospam.tld)
Date: 04/27/04

    Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:55:41 GMT

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:31:34 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

    > Julia Thorne schrieb am Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:20:49 GMT:
    >
    >> It reduces the UCE by 90%.
    >
    > It *does* reduce spam influx considerably, but surely not by 90%.
    > Why? Because most of the spam still comes from big US
    > dialup/cable/adsl providers.

    The % figure will vary a great deal, depending on which spammers
    got your address first, and from which source. When I first
    blocked those IP ranges, it cut spam by about 90%. Even though
    most of the UCE *senders* live in the U.S., they send most of
    their spam through badly-configured open mail relays in Asia and
    Eastern Europe, etc. -- where I can't contact an ISP to get the
    account suspended. Most U.S. ISPs don't tolerate spammers, and
    they will respond to complaints. It's almost impossible to get
    any response from Internet providers on RIPE, APNIC, etc.

    If U.S. lawmakers had the honesty & courage to stop the U.S.
    spammers, wordwide spam would be reduced by 90%.

    > BTW: I think blackholes.us is what the OP wants.

    That's one good approach. It's a good start.

    By keeping STRICT compliance with my own rules of email address
    management, I only receive about one spam email per week, average.
    Another user on the same mail server, who keeps the same address
    indefinitely, and just relies on the usual Postfix anti-UCE methods
    plus his mail client spam filters, receives about 12 per day.

    None of that would be necessary, if the email system wasn't so
    badly conceived to begin with, if so many mail servers weren't
    incorrectly configured, and if so many application progs weren't
    so sloppy in their interpretation of the standards, which are
    sloppy to begin with.

    This is one problem we can't blame on Micro$oft. The Unix world
    created this mess, and Linux inherited it. Who will fix it?

    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Im calling for LycosEU heads and team to resign or be sacked
      ... To go back to a previous message; in attacking spammers, ... I run a small mail server that services about 10 domains. ... I have approximately 500MB of spam stored on my server. ... bandwidth fees to upload disk images to a remote server. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Im calling for LycosEU heads and team to resign or be sacked
      ... I woud recommend a nice email detailing the real damage and spiritual damage caused by spam, aned what they might do to find a better way to make a living.. ... Lots of spammers are simply trying to make a living, and don't feel they have other options. ... How will we pay for damages, ... I run a small mail server that services about 10 domains. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Bad case of Spam Fatigue, Can anyone help
      ... When spammers start testing a new domain they often configure such programs to send spam to randomly made up user names. ... When the spammer sells the lists, and the list gets resold over and over this activity can quickly grow exponentially to a point where it can overload a small mail server. ... SPF is a protocol that lets you publish via a DNS record what your outgoing mail servers are so that when another server receives an email with your domain name in the from header, it can check your SPF policy to see if the IP is allowed by you or not. ...
      (comp.mail.misc)
    • Re: TMDA and other challenge-response systems considered harmful
      ... > They are also a pain in the neck when you get a CR sent to a ... > months on my own mail server and found that I was severely defeated ... > system to whitelist their spam into my server. ... what nice spammers you meet: ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: content filtering
      ... opinion on experience that's limited to dealing with domestic US ... Considering that the large majority of spam originates from the US, ... Now all you need is some method of identifying the sender. ... 550 code would come to the attention of the mail server admin who could ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)