Re: Can't upgrade OpenSSH

From: Robert (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 03/13/04

Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 20:42:04 +0100

Shabam <info@pcconnect.net> wrote:

> This was just one of the easier things to figure out. There are tons of
> other strange software installs out there that offer cryptic install notes.
> And people wonder why Linux isn't catching on in the desktop world. It's
> like you have to read a manual with every other install or something.
No. Installing and running (Open)SSH is nothing less than science. The
reward is security. It must be about 1000 pages on SSH I recently read
;)

Install you new OpenSSL in /usr/local/OpenSSL_0.9.7b.

Then link OpenSSH to OpenSSL. Try
./configure --help. There is one or more lines about how to set the path
to your new OpenSSL libraries.

That config option will work:

--with-ssl-dir=PATH Specify path to OpenSSL installation

Set the path to those libraries or include files. I don't know ad hoc.
Maybe its even OpenSSL's root. Just try it, the script will complain if
the path is wrong.

Robert

--
The Adress my@privacy.net is against spammers
and goes directly into the bin.

Relevant Pages

  • SUMMARY: incomplete openssl build
    ... Thanks for all the responses. ... Supposedly, after gcc 2.95.x, shared libraries are ... I used the build for openssl ... I'm using a pdf guide I downloaded from the web to install openssh on my ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Something Not going with my LDAP using SSL
    ... Okay Brian, having installed with apt-get source libldap-ruby1.8, openssl, and ... Okay great. ... how did you install ruby-ldap? ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Missing libraries when making c-client
    ... ports collection on the machine, so I can't use the imap port. ... and it seems as though it can't find some openssl ... since it is a FreeBSD install. ... openssl libraries in FreeBSD is declared: ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Something Not going with my LDAP using SSL
    ... Okay Brian, having installed with apt-get source libldap-ruby1.8, ... openssl, and libopenssl-ruby1.8, I am now in a quandry in two ways: ... how did you install ruby-ldap? ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Server Running Fedora Core 2 Lots of login attempts
    ... Why are you accepting login attempts from the world? ... >To install OpenSSL, you will need: ... openssl096b 0.9.6b The OpenSSL toolkit. ... create it with the command ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)