Re: Prevent stealing IP numbers

From: Alexander Clouter (alex_at_digriz.junk-this.org.uk)
Date: 02/29/04

Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:06:48 +0000

On 2004-02-27, Sensei <noone@nowhere.org> wrote:

> We're looking for a solution for preventing ip stealing. Students in our
> department usually connect their laptops and use one ip number... you
> can just imagine the conflicts we have...
>
> Is there a way of using some sort of authentication? I mean, we'll use a
> kerberos server, so we have a strong authentication server. Is this a
> good way? And how to use kerberos in such a way so that students must
> authenticate and gain tickets to use the network?

a good idea would be maybe to start playing with IPSec (and maybe with L2TP)
and a certificate deployment environment.

Students will be able to obtain DHCP leases however you configure the default
gateway machine to expect IPSec'ed traffic to be routed. Although the
students might want to keep with the same IP address, this will be short
lived as they find they will be unable to do anything. If they then need a
real IP address too, use L2TP to tunnel it to them.

Traffic could only be IPSec'ed if the student has placed a certificate on
their laptop, which of course has a unique ID and all, so you can actually
track down if students are being stupid and duplicating trackable
certificates.

Although a little overkill you might think, this would let you dispose of any
insecure wireless gateways you also have using WEP; you would be able to us
your Certificate IPSec infrastruction.

have fun

Alex

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Prevent stealing IP numbers
    ... > department usually connect their laptops and use one ip number... ... > kerberos server, so we have a strong authentication server. ... And how to use kerberos in such a way so that students must ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: VB Code for Hiding Rows
    ... Some of them are Phylodophy students and others are ... The idea is to print a certificate to show their courses and grades they ... The names and grades are in one sheet and the certificate is in another ...
    (microsoft.public.excel)
  • BOOK for Learning AND teaching the Foundation Certificate
    ... Certificate which I could also use to teach the syllabus to eager ... students once I have passed the exam. ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • how can i print hundreds of records one by one from excelsheet
    ... i want to know that i am having 800 records of my students, ... test should be print at the back side of the certificate. ... to do this work or if your have any type of macros to solve this problem you ... thanks for listenning this ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: visualisation of the lift distribution over a wing
    ... The examples (other than chloroform in grass) were well inside his area of training. ... He holds an A&P Certificate. ... The stuff he goofs up on is the stuff that he's teaching A&P students. ...
    (rec.aviation.homebuilt)