Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS

From: Christopher Browne (cbbrowne_at_acm.org)
Date: 02/09/04


Date: 9 Feb 2004 14:01:41 GMT

Clinging to sanity, sy_nttvr@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth Aggie) mumbled into her beard:
> On 9 Feb 2004 04:23:56 GMT,
> William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>, in
> <c0720r$14345t$1@ID-99293.news.uni-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>>+ I suspect Microsoft is waiting for others to commit their companies on
>>+ Linux platform. Then, Microsoft will come in and clean them up. "Kill
>>+ many birds with one stone." There is nothing to prevent Microsoft from
>>+ selling Linux OS. They will lose revenue from Windows sale, but they
>>+ can raise MS-Office price proportionately.
>
> Double the price of Office? MS has exactly two divisions making money
> (hand over fist): the Operating Systems group, and Office. Everyone
> else - Xbox, MSN, blah blah blah are losing money.

The pricing of MS Office on MacOS is pretty impressive; it's quite
likely that Microsoft makes more money off of the typical Mac purchase
than Apple does... It would _certainly_ be the case that they would
make more money off of a Linux sale than Torvalds does...

-- 
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html
"A crafty and lecherous old hypocrite whose very statue seems to gloat
on the wenches as they walk the States House Yard."
-- William Cobbett on Benjamin Franklin


Relevant Pages

  • Re: paintball dont look
    ... You claim that Goslin got beat to a pulp, but the fact is HT changed the whole point of the regular discussion and you've jumped in at the tail end and/or have been lurking and missed the whole point to begin with. ... The FACT is yes, there are some blue collar that can make as much if not more than someone with a decent education, but the overwhelming majority will not plain and simple. ... The FACT is, the vast majority of people who desire to be cops will never pull down the kind of money he has cited because A)they don't live in Alaska, or B) they don't WANT to live in Alaska, or someplace similarly inconvenient to live so that it demands high wages. ... The type that changes the point of an argument while being deliberately vague about explicitly saying so, and then when called on it they say "show me where I said blah blah blah" and then claim victory in their non-relavent line of defense. ...
    (rec.sport.paintball)
  • Re: looks like bye bye MR2 turbo!
    ... > via post which brought me some time to sort myself out. ... legal aid, and if you turn up in person, you ... was a stupid thing to do", blah blah blah. ... spending that money on the MR2 was a stupid thing to do, ...
    (uk.rec.cars.modifications)
  • Re: Star Wreck
    ... Motives, or sense? ... If it was a scam to make money ... blah blah and is more like a blah blah blah than he usually cares for. ... I should post negative reviews of his books on Amazon even though I haven't ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: Question on water pressure on dam
    ... sign that says, "fuck all ya'll here I am tj frazir me", instead we get generic ... Check the money again. ... money *snicker* you could accept this challenge and never even miss the money, ... blah blah blah.. ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: The Tour and the Economy
    ... And that if you want to see him bad enough you'll find the money. ... And that his ticket prices are practically a gift to us. ... Blah blah blah. ... the tour route, I see us hitting a couple NorthEast shows only (nothing like ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)