Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS

From: I R A Darth Aggie (sy_nttvr_at_gurcragntba.pbz)
Date: 02/09/04

Date: 9 Feb 2004 13:11:55 GMT

On 9 Feb 2004 04:23:56 GMT,
William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>, in
<c0720r$14345t$1@ID-99293.news.uni-berlin.de> wrote:

>+ I suspect Microsoft is waiting for others to commit their companies on
>+ Linux platform. Then, Microsoft will come in and clean them up. "Kill
>+ many birds with one stone." There is nothing to prevent Microsoft from
>+ selling Linux OS. They will lose revenue from Windows sale, but they
>+ can raise MS-Office price proportionately.

Double the price of Office? MS has exactly two divisions making money
(hand over fist): the Operating Systems group, and Office. Everyone
else - Xbox, MSN, blah blah blah are losing money.

MS is a convicted monopoly. They're not going to give up the one tool
that they use to put hardware resellers over a barrel. And if you
don't think the major vendors aren't over a barrel, tell me where I
can buy a laptop *without* a Microsoft OS preinstalled.

Major vendors being Toshiba, Dell, IBM, HP+Compaq, and Sony. Oh, and
maybe Gateway...

James

isn't looking good, either.