Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS

From: William Park (opengeometry_at_yahoo.ca)
Date: 02/09/04

Date: 9 Feb 2004 04:23:56 GMT

In <comp.os.linux.security> Tim Roberts <timr@probo.com> wrote:
> William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> >4. If Microsoft ports MS-Word/Office to Linux, it will kill Sun and
> > Novell. I don't know which side I should cheer.
>
> You know, that's very interesting statement. I agree with you; a true port
> of MS Office to Linux would become a best seller in short order. That
> raises the question: "why haven't they done so?"
>
> One possible reason is that it would eliminate one of the last barriers
> keeping casual computer users from switching to Linux for their desktops.
> If I could run Office natively on Linux, I would run Linux on my personal
> laptop.

I suspect Microsoft is waiting for others to commit their companies on
Linux platform. Then, Microsoft will come in and clean them up. "Kill
many birds with one stone." There is nothing to prevent Microsoft from
selling Linux OS. They will lose revenue from Windows sale, but they
can raise MS-Office price proportionately.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>

  • Re: [SLE] Red Hats take:
    ... I don't think Novell had a clue as to how many open source advocates ... would not put anymore money into Microsoft coffers and therefore the ... chance to upgrade all your desktop PCs to Linux (prolly something Suse, ... not very realistic but cute.. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Mico$oft Wants Royalties
    ... If you cared a whit about the technical issues with Novell openSUSE (let ... will spell game-over for Linux distributors like Novell, ... Microsoft has been spreading FUD about something ...
    (SuSE)
  • Novell approves Windows cheaper than Linux statement
    ... HSBC has agreed to adopt technology from Novell and Microsoft's recently ... states that the bank's existing Linux environment is ... more expensive to maintain than its Windows environment. ... simplify our mixed-source environment with Microsoft and Novell will allow ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Steve Ballmer - das ist ein Trottel wie wir ihn brauchen!
    ... Steve Ballmer hat offen behauptet, dass Linux "unser patentiertes geistiges ... geschlossenen Abkommens mit dem Linux-Distributor Novell auf einem Treffen ... Microsoft gezahlt". ...
    (microsoft.public.de.frontpage)
  • Re: EXTERNAL: [opensuse] Novell (and Suse) acquired by Attachmate
    ... Microsoft gets Linux in the end? ... with some of the Novell products that don't fit with Attachmates ... there were over 800 patents purchased ...
    (SuSE)