Re: where is the worm ?

From: Ben Measures (saint_abroadremove_at_removehotmail.com)
Date: 01/31/04

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:14:21 +0000

Jim Richardson wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:11:39 +0000,
> Ben Measures <saint_abroadremove@removehotmail.com> wrote:
>>LOL perhaps not... I've done it to myself recently! Sometime about 3
>>months ago. (:-*
>>
>>Long story, I was clearing some files that had accumulated in /tmp/
>>
>># cd /tmp/
>># ls -a
>>.randomCrap .morestuff ....
>># rm -r .*
>>[... Hmmm, this is taking an awful long time...]
>>
>>After about 30s I panicked and pressed ^C. Bash didn't come back up.
>>Oops. As I said, good fun.
>>
>>Should have heard the laughter in the irc rooms as I told ppl (on
>>another computer) what I had done and asked what my chances were.
>>Managed to repair it in the end tho. Heh, I showed them(!)
>>
>>Seriously though, I had a great time fixing the system. (But I did,
>>mwhahahahaaha.) This is why I like Linux so - I can Fix It (tm).
>
> touch /%NO_DELETE%
> chattr +i /%NO_DELETE%
> touch /.%NO_DELETE%
> chattr +i /.%NO_DELETE%
>
> then try it, rm balks at the non-immutable file, %NO_DELETE% and
> .%NO_DELETE%, stops, since they are among the first ASCII printable
> characters to show up. The ones that show up before %, (!, space, $,
> etc) have some issues that make their use for this, problematic,
> although I suppose you could use a filename consisting of a space in the
> front. Dunno what that might trip up on though.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me - I use reiserfs (which makes
the rm command go even faster :D ).

--
Ben M.
----------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Protection/Time Limiting my software
    ... If you are to implement a copy-protection scheme, ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Viruses and hackers make Windows more secure - Gates
    ... Microsoft changed Media Player's EULA with an inconspicuous "Security ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: probes to port 80
    ... OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Protection/Time Limiting my software
    ... >>I avoid having to send the whole fully functional program. ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Cheap PC firewalls
    ... If you want a proper standalone firewall protecting your network then ... What are Software Patents for? ... To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies. ...
    (alt.computer.security)