Re: strange packets on my interface

From: NeoSadist (neosad1st_at_charter.net)
Date: 01/22/04

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:20:35 -0700

AR wrote:

> Anyone know what this mean... My IP is completly diferent from
> 194.249.38.255. Why is this on my interface???
>
> Wed Jan 14 12:33:27 2004; UDP; eth0; 140 bytes; from
> cmb8-158.dial-up.arnes.si:1322 to 194.249.38.255:39213 Wed Jan 14 12:33:28

<SNIP>
First off, these are you your network over the broadcast IP, which means
some machine is spraying the LAN with tons of UDP (which is a
fire-and-forget kind of thing). I suggest you figure out where they're
coming from, as some machine on your LAN is doing it, in my opinion. This
could be some machine being infected with a trojan/worm/virus of some sort.

--
The penalty for laughing in a courtroom is six months in jail; if it
were not for this penalty, the jury would never hear the evidence.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fwd: Samba NetBios
    ... This LAN has a wins server. ... In order for the LAN to browse the network NETBIOS seems to be a problem. ... I dont think i've actually done it with jails, but it works with SMB over VPN ... inet 172.20.25.177 netmask 0xfffffc00 broadcast 172.20.27.255 ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Net send message to entire LAN
    ... > Is there a way I can broadcast a net send message or another type of ... > message to everyone on my LAN? ... If your network is composed of Windows NT or XP you can use NET SEND ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Loss of Connectivity on Only One PC on a LAN
    ... When you ran the Network Setup Wizard, ... The original setup of the LAN was done entirely by the user of the other PC on that LAN in July. ... I use a LAN connection which consists of two PCs each connected to a Linksys BEFSR 41 Router. ...
  • Re: TCPIP - Ping tool
    ... Strangely enough the answer was under your nose all along, namely PING. ... If your "internal network" corresponds to a Local Area Network (LAN), ... assume the subnet address for your LAN is 192.168.10.0 and the subnet mask ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Firewall and DMZ topology
    ... attacker cannot spread his influence across the network. ... If the DMZ resides between the public Internet and the ... Should the DMZ be behind the LAN and not split off at the firewall, ... > The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
    (Security-Basics)