Re: Ideas?

From: Nick Adams (usenet_at_narkov.com)
Date: 01/22/04

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:16:42 +1000

Joseph wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:44:22 +1000, Nick Adams scribbled:
>

>>Kurt Harders wrote:
>>

>>>Because of the price? A simple PC suitable for this task is about 250
>>>EUR (310$). Thats hard to beat.
>>
>>Sure. Now how do you explain the millions of SOHO routers/firewalls sold
>>each year? I would probably purchase about 10 of these SOHO NAS units if
>>they were available. Not every office needs/wants a computer to serve a
>>few files.
>

> companies make a decision as to what is going to sell --->more than one
> person<---...or a few.
>
> Making and selling a product that most people would just dumpster-dive
> for, is not good marketing practice.

So explain why/how millions of SOHO routers (made by dlink/netgear..etc)
can be sold each year. Can't these be replaced by a "dumpster-dive"
computer?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Ideas?
    ... Joseph wrote: ... I would probably purchase about 10 of these SOHO NAS units if ... > Making and selling a product that most people would just dumpster-dive ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Ideas?
    ... Joseph wrote: ... I would probably purchase about 10 of these SOHO NAS units if ... > Making and selling a product that most people would just dumpster-dive ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Ideas?
    ... Joseph wrote: ... I would probably purchase about 10 of these SOHO NAS units if ... > Making and selling a product that most people would just dumpster-dive ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Ebay
    ... Every purchase has actually gone perfectly well but you hear horror stories about Ebay frauds and Paypal cockups which puts me off doing more on it. ... Purchase one a couple of years ago was by pure chance when I was browsing idly and came across a guy selling a job lot of 8.05mm machine reamers. ... When it arrived I looked it up on the manufacturer's website and it was such old stock they hadn't sold it for several years but when tested both spools actually exceeded their nominal breaking strain and clearly the stuff had been stored out of the light and was in fine condition. ...
    (uk.rec.models.engineering)
  • Re: Ebay
    ... Purchase one a couple of years ago was by pure chance when I was browsing ... idly and came across a guy selling a job lot of 8.05mm machine reamers. ... was breaking at about half the nominal breaking strain. ... Bought and sold on around 150 or so occasions over 5-6 years. ...
    (uk.rec.models.engineering)