Re: Redhat 9 security default install

From: Seth Morecraft (chevystm_at_netscape.net)
Date: 01/08/04

Date: 9 Jan 2004 02:41:27 +0800

iceman wrote:
> What is the security like for a Redhat 9 machine with a default install
> and the firewall set to high?

You can check the exact settings by looking in /etc/sysconfig/iptables.sh
This is run out ot /etc/init.d/intables
If I recall correctly- the 'High' settings blocks the standard service
ports, but these files will tell you for sure.

>Where can I view the logs of attacks on the
> comuputer?

You can check the logs in /var/log - Redhat Specific: /var/log/messages
You should also check out Redhat's security recommendations for services
when you install - depending on what you are using the computer for.
Good luck.

Seth

        ~ Let us linux ~

  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • The Big Ol Ubuntu Security Resource
    ... but its default install has flaws. ... are the mods you need to make to protect your system. ... If you've recently switched from Windows to the Linux distribution Ubuntu, ... IT Security has prepared a guide to help you ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Critical Alert Update - W32.Slammer
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - Update: ... SP2, and Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine Version (MSDE) 2000 RTM, Microsoft SQL ... and all applications that install Microsoft SQL Desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.security)
  • Critical Alert Update - W32.Slammer
    ... PSS Security Response Team Alert - Update: ... SP2, and Microsoft SQL Desktop Engine Version (MSDE) 2000 RTM, Microsoft SQL ... and all applications that install Microsoft SQL Desktop ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • [security bulletin] HPSBUX02108 SSRT061133 rev.14 - HP-UX Running Sendmail, Remote Execution
    ... SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - SECURITY BULLETIN ... This bulletin will be revised as other versions of Sendmail become available. ... install revision B.11.23.01.003 or subsequent, ... Security Bulletins via Email: ...
    (Bugtraq)