Re: Backup media; comments would be appreciated.

From: Travis Casey (efindel_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 12/26/03

Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:59:00 GMT

Al Dykes wrote:

[snipping a good bit]

>>> I am thinking about a USB ZIP IOMEGA 750 Mbytes external drive as a
>>> device for backing up data for a small home network (backing up Windows
>>> as well as Linux partitions). Thanks for comments about the following
>>> ideas of mine:
>>
>>How much do you have to back up?

> Are you backing up for archival purposes or just crash recovery ?

These days, a second hard drive can be a very good backup medium, if you're
mostly looking for crash recovery. Mirroring is one way to do it... but
another way, which gives fall-back to earlier versions, is described at:

http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

It can also be used across a network to backup to another machine. On my
own system, I'm keeping daily snapshots for the past week and weekly
snapshots for the past four weeks. That takes about 8.5 GB... for a system
with 6 GB of actual current data.

For more permanent backups, once a month or so, I backup my home directory
to a CD-R. That way, even if my computer dies from something like a dead
motherboard, I still have access to most of my files by borrowing someone
else's computer and using it.

--
ZZzz   |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel@earthlink.net>
       /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   No one agrees with me.  Not even me.
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Backup/Restore info
    ... Create the above folders. ... Use it to tell windows where to new path is. ... If you computer dies, you buy a new computer or whatever, you'll be able ... No backup software needed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Backing up My Documents to myFflash Drive?...
    ... flash to alternate, as someone explained it. ... When my computer dies and I ... I'll try to buy an external or DVD backup as you suggested. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I Know it is still early in the season
    ... apologies for the lack of snipping. ... Except that sometimes the backup is behind a really good player ... career because he was backing up three good outfielders. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)