Re: Firewalls: what's the use?

From: NeoSadist (neosad1st_at_charter.net)
Date: 12/15/03

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 06:49:56 -0700

William Park wrote:

> NeoSadist <neosad1st@charter.net> wrote:
>> I have no clue why you're against such a simple security measure as a
>> firewall, but I could care less. It's my opinion, and I can give it
>> anywhere and anytime I so desire. I'd rather have someone take an
>> "extra" precaution than not.
>
> Yes, IPtables can drop packets faster than web server. And, if he gets
> hammered, then, yes, his server will crawl. But, that's performance
> issue, not security. Turning everything into nail just because hammer
> is the only tool you know, is not something that should be recommended
> to a newbie like OP.

No, that's not what I'm doing. He should use a firewall, period, end of
discussion. With as many LINUX security websites out there recommending
firewalling any servers, all that noise comes from something. Even if you
don't agree with me, I'm not going to sit here and debate my opinion versus
yours. He asked my opinion, I gave it. You gave yours. End of
discussion.

--
Twenty Percent of Zero is Better than Nothing.
                -- Walt Kelly